Search This Blog

June 20, 2011

Is Restoration Really Worth Your Time?

One of my favorite things to do is to check out vintage stores for unique treasures.  You simply never know what you might find.  Occasionally I will come across something so fantastic that it is worth every precious penny it will cost to restore the treasure to their original beauty, especially when that treasure is a divine pair of heels.

Some time back I found a pair of heels that were in dire need of major restoration but I bought them nonetheless as I was enchanted with their character and charm.  I held onto them for the longest time before finally having them restored.  They still have some tiny imperfections but I am still enchanted by them, imperfections and all.

I finally had an opportunity to enjoy my newly restored heels and wore them out and about everywhere; I couldn't have been happier with my choice in buying and having them restored instead of dismissing them upon first glance at the shop when I saw all of the work that needed to be done.  They were everything I knew they would be - simply amazing!  However, after only a few days, I began to notice that one of the heels began to wobble.  I went straight back to my shoe repairman to discuss this major dilemma.  After a long inspection of the heel he advised that the heel could be repaired but the cost would be enormous.

Should I spend the money to repair my vintage find or should I cut my losses and leave the heels for another lady to suffer the dilemma instead?  Is the restoration and cost worth the joy these shoes will bring me on the random weekends that I will have the opportunity to enjoy them now and again?  This is what I must decide and I am still undecided as to how I should proceed with my treasure.  For now, I will continue to hold onto them until I can make a sound decision either way.     

1 comment:

  1. Uh oh. New development. Definitely no saving in this situation. Can't even donate, shoes have been dumped in the trash. Was a hard and harsh decision but had to be done. Luv you G, you will make it thru this, I promise.

    ReplyDelete